[AccessD] Should I use an adp or an mdb

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Fri Feb 20 10:57:48 CST 2009

Use an mdb!  The primary goal of using an adp was that it gave you the
ability to manage objects in the SQL Server database you are using from
within Access - an mdb can't do that.

But, since SQL Server 2005 Express (free) was released, you can easily
manage those objects with SQL Server Express Management Studio (also free).
This wasn't easily possible with MSDE.

So, by using an Access mdb and SQL Server Express Management Studio you can
get all the benefits of both.

With an mdb, you can use either table links for use on a LAN, or you can
connect using OLEDB (like an adp would) for use on a WAN.  Also in an mdb,
you can have temp tables in the FE.

I did a search on 'Access mdb vs adp' and got many good sites.

Dan