[AccessD] Conversion Time: Access to VB.Net (cross-posted)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Feb 21 03:23:33 CST 2009

Hi Dan

Nearly my words, except that I haven't spent a single Euro on neither tools nor resources. I was prepared to for reporting but the report viewer of VS2008 is great. Also, I've found that VS and .Net can easily keep you busy 24 hours a day should you feel so, so no need for further items to investigate.

I too moved to C#. After 15 years with Access Basic and VBA I felt that a challenge would be fine. MS does a good job to provide code examples in both VB.NET and C# but, if you look around for tips and code, C# is the rule and VB.NET is the exception.

It tool me half a year to feel that my feet was on the ground. Now I love it. Visual Studio is really a star of MS.

/gustav

>>> wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com 21-02-2009 07:41 >>>
Dan

...first time out you will have a significant learning curve ...plus outlays
of money and time for tools and resources necessary to dupe what Access does
by its lonesome ...time to build your own code library ...time to learn
which web resources know what they are doing and which don't (too damn many
of those) ...and looking for a replacement for AccessD which there isn't
even as much as dba-vb tries (maybe you can help) ...and you will spend a
lot more time getting a prototype to work.

...depends on how much of that cost you can absorb and how much you want to
charge the client for ...my rough guess would be a minimum of 2.5 x the same
app in Access ...but that's me and my apps and there are a LOT of things you
could run into that will take you days to figure out ...things that are
givens in Access or simply don't exist in the .net world.

...but then you learn classes and inheritance and you start to figure out
that .net has one heck of a lot of more stuff already built in than access
if you just know how to find and use it ...and then you find yourself doing
things you never thought possible ...and your next .net app is a lot easier
and quicker to produce ...and a lot more fun.

...I'm working in access again now because that's what the client wants ...I
find it ...um ...stodgy ...for lack of a better word ...what it does, it
does pretty well and I've built a nice gui over the years so it doesn't look
like access ...but if you can get over that first hump, you'll find that
.net and visual studio are awesome by comparison.

...btw ...don't just assume that vb.net is the right tool for you ...its not
vba and the syntax is deceptively different ...I spent a lot of time in
vb.net before I swallowed hard and started playing with c#.net because,
among other reasons, the quality and quantity of .net code resources in c#
is much higher than it is in vb

...if you take the work, sign up for the dba-vb list ...gustav and shamil
are already there waiting.

...hth

William