[AccessD] JC's Solution

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sun Feb 22 17:24:36 CST 2009

John:

I reviewed the code and I think I see how it works, but not entirely.  I'll
be back with more questions I'm sure.  But,as I said, I have to go back to
the beginning of the Class class and start from there.  Until I can
understand completely what's going on I'm reluctant to put it into the
product since it makes maintenance much more difficult. But it's going to be
good for learning.  BTW, if you want to include this in your eBook, feel
free.  Send me a permission form.  I'd be honored to be included.  I wonder
if Apress would be interested?

I did see a flash or repaint when opening one of my translated forms in
TranslateJWC20080221.mdb.  Do you know what that might be due to?  It's
really minimal especially compared to what I was seeing in my app before,
and even less than the latest version in which I went through and put the
following 5 lines in each form:

    Application.Echo False
    Call adhScaleForm(Me, 640, 480, 96, 96, rctOriginal)
    Call TranslateControlForm(Me.Name)
    DoCmd.Maximize
    Application.Echo True

Before the calls to Scale, Translate, and Maximize were in random orders.
This sequence seemed to work best to minimize the flashing before I put the
Echo statements in - even less after, but not zero.  It was the flashing
that was the problem  was really trying to solve.  And I was thinking that
the translation routine might be causing some of it, especially the Chinese
which seems to take more resources to display.  Or something.

Anyway, that leads to another question - the answer to which will hopefully
be useful to someone besides me - would that code - the five lines - be
better in the Open event or the Load event?  Any guidelines on when to use
one vs. the other?

Thanks again for your help and for creating all that material for the list.
You're holding my marker.

Rocky Smolin

Beach Access Software

858-259-4334