[AccessD] Find First in an Array? - The Solution Revisited - Now Tag is the Answer

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 25 08:16:27 CST 2009

Max,

I spent months one time (late 90s) designing my first iteration of the LightWeight Security System,
using only tags and form properties.  It stored a ton of security information into the tags, and
information about the forms into the form's custom properties.  It worked.  It was tough to
troubleshoot.

I wrote custom forms to read the tags out and display them for me so that I could see what was
happening in my code.  It worked.  It was TOUGH troubleshoot.

I ended up with a functioning system, quite complex functionality, doing exactly what I intended it
to do, using control tags to store a whole TON of information about each control, loaded with the
form, ready to go.  It worked.  It was TOUGH to troubleshoot.  It was tough to make changes to.  The
code was byzantine.

I would do it all over again if that was the only tool at my disposal, but it isn't any more.  Given
the tools I now have I do not use the tags anymore.

Back in the late 90s when I was doing that stuff my systems were running on 100 and 200 mhz
machines.  They had 128 megs of RAM.  They had slower hard drives.  I did not even know collections
existed (which I still find hard to believe!).

Tags absolutely made sense, if for no other reason than that the hardware was barely up to the task.

So it is at the very least safe to say that I have more experience with using tags than MOST of the
AccessD users.  You strike me as a guy that may have me beat though.

;)