[AccessD] FW: Translation DB

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 25 13:18:23 CST 2009

Rocky,

And that is the problem I have with that whole concept.  I design for all my clients.  I use my code
for all of my clients.  I am not sitting on site building a single database for one purpose, I am a
consultant and by definition I design for the generic.  I know a lot of people that will just do the
same work over and over and over and charge each client to do that work over.  If that is the case
then premature whatitis makes a lot of sense.

Then you do one unit of work for each one but get to charge X * one unit across the client base.
You build exactly and only what is required for that specific job, and the client pays for every
minute and pays for refactoring when it wasn't good enough for the next thing that it really should
have worked for.

I have a problem with that.

We walk a fine line in this business.  One line is trying to make the suit fit too many people, the
other is selling a custom designed suit to each person, complete with alterations later.

In a case like this though how much time does it take to design for the general?  We are not talking
a weeks work to make it fast enough for everyone.