[AccessD] Linux Server

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:49:12 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Bruce <bbruen at unwired.com.au> wrote:
> Brian (and Rocky)
>
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 05:34:07 Bryan Carbonnell wrote:
>> If the IT folks set it up correctly as a file and print server with
>> Samba, then AFAICT it shouldn't be a problem. They won't need WINE
>> because Access is being run on the local desktop not the server.
> No, this is not correct.  You still need the server side software (Jet or
> whatever it's called now) running on the server in order for it to respond to
> client requests.  Samba is just a file server.  It will support Windows file
> access (create, open, read, write, close, list and delete) but not direct
> file access of the Access FE type.

Not to access the file you don't need WINE. Just Samba to access the BE.

I KNOW for a fact our Novell servers don't have ANY server side
software running (ie Jet).

I have about 5 apps that are run FE locally and BE on Novell Servers.
One of them is used 7 days a week, virtually 24 hours a day with NO
problems.

I suspect that a Linux server is no different.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"