[AccessD] Linux Server

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jan 2 14:53:05 CST 2009

Hi Bruce

Way too much confusion here ... there is absolutely no "server side software" running on a file server to host an mdb file. JET is running on the client machine. A shared Access database is a shared file, that's all.

If anyone doubt this, come and see our Novell NetWare 6 Server hosting dozens and dozens of mdb files. Be confident that zero (nil) Windows software will run on such a server.

/gustav

>>> bbruen at unwired.com.au 02-01-2009 21:35 >>>
Brian (and Rocky)

On Saturday 03 January 2009 05:34:07 Bryan Carbonnell wrote:
> If the IT folks set it up correctly as a file and print server with
> Samba, then AFAICT it shouldn't be a problem. They won't need WINE
> because Access is being run on the local desktop not the server.
No, this is not correct.  You still need the server side software (Jet or
whatever it's called now) running on the server in order for it to respond to
client requests.  Samba is just a file server.  It will support Windows file
access (create, open, read, write, close, list and delete) but not direct
file access of the Access FE type.

(see also my reply to Karen R)

bruce.