[AccessD] Linux Server - Summary

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Fri Jan 2 21:12:59 CST 2009

So to sum up what I've learned:

1. SAMBA is probably the leading contender for a software solution - "Samba
is software that can be run on a platform other than Microsoft Windows, for
example, UNIX, Linux, IBM System 390, OpenVMS, and other operating systems.
Samba uses the TCP/IP protocol that is installed on the host server. When
correctly configured, it allows that host to interact with a Microsoft
Windows client or server as if it is a Windows file and print server."

It gets three votes.

2. Run Windows as a virtual machine on the Linux server.

3. JB has an client with an Access BE on Snapserver which is probably Linux
based?  - a hardware based solution which seems to indicate that no
additional software is required to host an Access BE on a Linux server -
would that be correct?

4. WINE and CROSSOVER are primarily client/front end solutions so you could
run the app on a Linux box and talk to an Access BE.  Not needed for my guy
- all his client machines are Windows.

5. Moving to postgreSQL or MySQL would work but is not an option for me at
this point.

So it would seem that I should recommend to the client that they get SAMBA
and then BUY MY SOFTWARE!!!

Yes?

Rocky Smolin

Beach Access Software