[AccessD] Stored Procedure return value

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jan 27 07:50:29 CST 2009

Arthur,

What I still don't understand is how I get the data into the
variables to return INSIDE of the stored procedure.

For example, I might have a table with the PKID starts at
~13 million and go to 87 million.  My external process can
only process 1 million records maximum so I need to grab 1
million record chunks of data.

I need to get the min(PKID) and max(PKID) and I need to
return these to code out in Access so that I can then "get
the next million records" based on the PKID.  I want to do a
bulk export starting at 13 million to 14 million, then when
that works, 14 to 15 million etc.

I have the SP written and tested that does that bulk export,
now all I need is the min(PKID) and Max(PKID) so I can start
carving up the table.

I have written a usp_MinMaxPKID @tblName varchar, @MinPKID
int output, @MaxPKID int output

So I have a SP with the values passed in and declared OUTPUT
(return value to calling procedure).  In the past I have
written dynamic code something like:

declare @SQL = 'SELECT Min(PKID) as MinPKID, Max(PKID) as
MaxPKID from dbo.' + @tblName.

exec(@sql)

This had the effect of getting the min and max from the
table passed into @tblName, but it places the results into
the results pane in the query window when I execute the SP.

Now I need to somehow place the results into the @MinPKID
and @MaxPKID.  It is this piece that I am "missing".

Any help (from anyone) on how to do this would be much
appreciated.