[AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Skill Zones

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jul 1 11:56:29 CDT 2009

Of course I agree with Charlotte, when you finally wrap your mind around classes, suddenly they
become like a nail gun vs a hammer.  But you have to really get there and that is the problem most
people have.

Imagine that you live a mile from town.  You have always ridden a bike.  It seems like that works
quite well, after all you have always ridden a bike, and you cannot really imagine why you would
need more.

Then your friend lends you a car while he's on vacation for the month.  Asks you to feed his cat and
dog, check on his mother in the next town over.  you drive, you run around, you haul stuff for his
mom, you suddenly see that a car is a different breed of transportation from a bike.  A bike works,
but it is just a different breed.

Until you actually use it, day in and day out, you just never appreciated how different it was and
what it allowed you to do.

There are things that you simply cannot reasonably do without classes.  But until you have tried to
do those things you cannot understand what they might possibly be.

Let me give you an example, caching data.

I use tables where the data doesn't change from month to month.  These tables have hundreds of
records, and yes, I could just set up things to seek etc to go through and find data in these
tables.  But I USE these tables to control whether specific tabs are displayed, whether certain
subforms are allowed to load and so forth.  I use these tables PROGRAMMATICALLY, in loops in
programs where decisions are made etc.  To try and seek to specific records then get certain fields
would be several orders of magnitude slower than to simply load each record into a class, then load
those record class instances into a collection, keyed on a common lookup field (what you would Find
Next on or SEEK on).

Record / record supervisor.  Once I have these I can get at any field that I need (or specific
fields that I need all of the time) and I can get at it INSTANTLY.

Collections of classes keyed on a search data are something that you cannot even understand until
you do it.  Once you do it, the light bulb goes on.

Goto http://www.databaseadvisors.com/downloads.asp and click on the zipcode demo.  You cannot do
this kind of thing without classes.

Click on the Openargs demo.  You cannot do this without classes.

I could swear I had another demo up there for SysVars.  That is another thing you just can't do
without classes (it is the cached record idea).

I would never say that you can't be a very good, very successful developer without classes.  I would
say that once you understand and use them you will be in an entirely different league, because what
you can do suddenly changes.

I would also say that until you truly understand classes you will NEVER transition smoothly to .Net.