[AccessD] Custom autonumbering

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jul 2 14:31:52 CDT 2009

No problem.  That 'autonumber trick' is handy.  It falls into the territory of using a 'key' as meaningful value, though it really is not.  It's just using Jet to give you a sequential number (and the append trick allows you to 'set' the number to start wherever you want).

You original solution only has the 'duplicate' issue in a multi-user scenario, which is the one thing that Jet will handle for you in an autonumber field.

So either way works, I don't think you'll do any less work to get either to work.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com [mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Asger Blond
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:16 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Custom autonumbering

Thanks Drew. Didn't know it was that simple. In T-SQL you would have to use
SET IDENTITY INSERT ON before explicitly setting a value for an Identity
field. Quite new to me that you can just use an INSERT statement on an
AutoNumber field in Access.
Now your two-table approach is certainly an alternative to consider for me.

Asger