[AccessD] Access I love it

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Thu Jul 2 20:46:25 CDT 2009

Well put, Tony.

I have heard it said that the best thing about Access is that it's part of
Office, and the worst thing about Access is that it's part of Office.

For one thing, if it wasn't part of Office, it's doubtful it would have
survived like it has.  On the other hand, it is clearly in a completely
different league compared with the other Office products.  As John correctly
pointed out, it takes a lot of hard work to achieve proficiency.

In the sense that it is used to "develop" database applications, it is
clearly a developer program.  Here's another thing that is a best/worst
thing about Access.  It provides the ability for beginners to make effective
simple applications, as well as providing a very powerful set of tools for
professional developers to build complex applications.  It simplifies the
ability to connect to a wide range of data sources.  It provides for a wide
range of different application types - desktop / multi-user / hybrid
desktop-web / clent-server.  There is not a product on the planet that does
now, nor ever has, come even close to catering to the needs of such a
diverse range of IT workers and such a wide range of application scenarios.
And guess what, I reckon this trend is going to continue to get even more
so, as Access continues to move forward and keep pace with the wider IT
industry.

Is this an advantage? Yes.  Is it a disadvantage? Yes.  This is a topic that
is close to my heart.  Unlike some here, I do not have a deep IT background.
I came to databases from an entirely different background.  If it wasn't for
the fact that Access provides something for the newbie, I would never have
got into it.  It was still a steep learning curve, but it was manageable.  I
have been full-time Access developer for about 12 years, part-time for a few
more years before that.  Know what I'm saying?  I love this, and *I owe my
career* to being able to do something with Access without knowing what I was
doing.  I don't know whether there are many on this list with this type of
story, but it is not uncommon in the Access world in general.

Now, that's the trouble... The fact that anyone can have a go, and think
they're doing cool stuff, but in reality making a mess, because Access is in
Office like Word and Excel and some people therefore assume it is as easy to
use, that's the root of this stuff you mentioned about Access being regarded
as "just a toy".  In many situations, it is a constant battle for Access
developers to maintain their dignity and get taken seriously, and for Access
to be seen as an appropriate/best tool for jobs which it really is but the
reputation is tarnished. That's the reason I built a webpage at
http://accesstips.datamanagementsolutions.biz/apps.htm to try and
demonstrate that Access does some serious stuff.

As for "give us what we need", all I can do is suggest you consider applying
to join the Beta for Access 2010.  As Martin Reid (he who is primarily
responsible for triggering my initial passion for Access 2007/SharePoint
integration) said in a recent post here, the major conceptual decisions
about the product's direction are well established by the time we get to see
it, so wholesale dissing is a waste of time.  But I think the Access team
will be very keen to hear, and respond to, constructive feedback on the
details and implementation.

Regards
Steve