[AccessD] Access I love it

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 05:19:22 CDT 2009

After some experience programming Excel and Word applications, I tend to
think that they are being sold short in this thread. Example, I wrote an
Excel app that is run once a month. It opens approximately 200 workbooks,
two per investment fund, and grabs the monthly data for last year and this
year, creating a new workbook containing one page per fund. Due to the
directory structure (a directory per year and within that a directory per
month), The app had to be smart enough to increment the year, come December,
and when incrementing December, realize that the next month was January.
There were also some calculations and a couple of charts. Formerly this job
was done by hand, the way an experience user would do it (lots of open, copy
and paste) took approximately two person-weeks. My finished app reduced the
task to a couple of mouse-clicks and five minutes. I learned a lot about the
Excel object model and the power of VBA code within Excel. That gig gave me
a whole new respect for Excel.
Arthur