[AccessD] Friday OT: Wimbledon

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 11:16:09 CDT 2009

I don't know how many listers are as into tennis as I am, but let's just say
that four times a year for two-week stretches, I suddenly start working
nights so I can watch tennis all day -- the Grand Slams. This year is
shaping up to be a great one, and everyone is hoping that Andy Murray makes
it through. This morning Roger Federer made it through. Another hour and we
see what happens to shape the Final -- Andy Murray is the first Brit (well,
Scot actually, but all that is forgotten at Wimbledon), and Andy Roddick
(USA) is playing the finest tennis of his life.
In between matches, they replayed the final set from last year's Wimbledon
Final, Nadal vs. Federer -- universally considered the finest tennis match
ever played. I've seen it three times, and it made me weep with its beauty
every time. It's like listening to the greatest classical music. You simply
never get bored with it, even though you know exactly where it is going.
Each time you visit it, you see new subtle nuances.

Now it's Andy vs. Andy. Place your bets! All of Britain is going to be 110%
behind Murray, and I suppose the same goes for USA and Roddick. We
third-Worlders are allowed to decide on things other than nationality. It
would be a tragic disappointment for all Britain should Murray lose. Even
the Queen is rumoured to show up for the Final, should Murray win this
match.

IMO both Murray and Roddick are playing the strongest tennis of their lives.
As for me, I'm hoping Murray wins, perhaps due to nothing more than its
historical significance (Britain hasn't placed a player in the Final for 74
years, Tim Henman never managed to make it to the top tier). I'd like to see
Federer vs. Murray. On the one hand, the significance of Murray making it to
the Final; on the other hand, Fed's opportunity to surpass Sampras in number
of Grand Slams won.

I awoke at 3am this morning so I could put 4 hours of work in before the
matches began. When they're done, I'll the other four in and call it a
wonderful day.

Arthur