[AccessD] display right to left languages in Access 2007

Klos, Susan Susan.Klos at fldoe.org
Fri Jul 10 08:10:55 CDT 2009

There are a couple of cool features in Access 2007 that have been very
useful in a database I created recently.  One of these gives the user
the ability to highlight something in a text box or memo field and it
shows up well in the form.  The other gives the user the capability to
use right to left languages as long as the correct keyboard and language
fonts are installed.  Now, I come to my problem.  I created a database
for a missionary who is in the process of translating the Bible into a
language which is a derivative of Arabic.  Everything works fine except
that he is unable to set the right to left function.  I found an article
on the Microsoft website and sent it to him.  I do not have the feature
installed on my computer, nor do I have the font or keyboard, so I could
not test it out on my computer.  After he read the article his response
back to me was: "Right, I myself had to add that function.  I think it
was an option but needed to be downloaded or installed from the original
CD.

The problem is that all of the formatting options on the Home Tab are
grayed out, and that's where the right-to-left text option is located.
The options on Design tab are colored/usable, but not on Home tab.  Why
would that be?

I have not limited his access to the design view and I don't know why
the feature he wants is grayed out.  If anyone has any ideas how I can
trouble shoot this, I would be most appreciative.  Thanks in advance.

Susan Klos

Senior Database Analyst

Florida Department of Education

Evaluation and Reporting Office