[AccessD] I want one

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jun 4 09:43:36 CDT 2009

It is when you see a demo like that that you can understand the speed limitations placed on our
computers by the storage.

The nice thing is that in perhaps two years the prices will have dropped by a factor of 4 or so.
That will open up real possibilities for me.  ATM a 120g SSD is about $400.  When that drops to $100
I can start building a RAID system that will make some of my work really fly.

Now if the 4 gb DRAMS would just drop in price.  8(  Those have been hanging out at $200 each
forever.  I need eight of them but who can afford that?

The truly funny thing is that each of us has a super mini computer running on our desks - 19 1985 terms.

In 1986 I worked for a company that built super mini computers.  They designed a custom machine,
built out of 4 bit slice processors to get a 64 bit machine.  They had an entire card (2' x 2') full
of dims that was a mere 128 megs of ram.  They had programmers writing a custom version of Linux
just for their new machine...  Selling these things for a cool million apiece.

And my server has a quad core processor, each processor is probably about 10 times faster and has
about 80 times more memory.

OTOH it is saddled with Windows, like a vampire... sucking the life out of the computer...