[AccessD] how to use IIF for six different fields

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Mon Jun 8 03:58:37 CDT 2009

A.D.

> On 8 Jun 2009 at 10:32, A.D.Tejpal wrote:

>   The expression works even if all the six fields are blank. This is
> because Mid() function, acting upon zero length string, returns a zero
> length string without generating error, irrespective of the value of
> numerical argument.
> ====================================
> SELECT T_Data.*, Mid((","+[F1]) & (","+[F2]) & (","+[F3]) & (","+[F4]) &
> (","+[F5]) & (","+[F6]),2) AS MergedValue
> FROM T_Data;

Just to clarify, as the expression in this example would be Null if all 6
fields were.  So, in addition to what you stated, we should also say that
the Mid() function returns Null, without error, in such a case.

--
Regards
Steve

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4136 (20090606) __________