[AccessD] Learning .Net

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 22 22:46:51 CDT 2009

Hi Darryl:

I would say that I am more of an expert in Oracle than MS SQL. I really like
MS SQL but to find meaningful work in an Oracle town is difficult to say the
least.

After working on a MS SQL project for almost 5 years it was cancelled
without comment, other than "We need to standardize" and replaced with
Oracle.

I have worked full-time on Oracle support and have taken courses in Oracle
10 and 11i.

They are both excellent products. MS SQL is more automated while Oracle can
really be hacked and patched. There a lot more work in Oracle as far as I
can see and when you become certified in the product starting wage is 60K up
to 120K for senior techs (5 years). And in free-lance work you can make a
lot more.

Jim