[AccessD] Learning .Net

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Jun 23 10:47:25 CDT 2009

LOL, over the last few years, I do more and more remotely.  As I just
posted a few minutes ago, I had an app I built, that I have started to
use a lot more often over a VPN.  It was initially built on top of an
.mdb.  I switched it to a SQL Server about a year ago.  It worked over a
VPN, just very very slow.

It depends on the environment you build in.  I haven't built an Access
FE for a LONG time.  My front ends are either going to be web based, or
VB based.  VB, SQL Server just automatically allows it to be used
remotely.  Web, well if the .mdb is on the server, there are very few
advanatages of SQL Server over .mdb, when the .mdb is local on the
webserver.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Dettman
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:49 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Learning .Net

Drew,

  I have to say I was shocked when I read this and had to check twice it
was
posted by you.

"but try using it over a VPN, and
yikes..... "

  I think I took this the wrong way as you of all people should know
that
JET was never designed to be used over any type of a WAN link.  Why one
would even try is beyond me.

 Jim.