[AccessD] Clustered Index Debate - Was: RE: Primary keys and entry points

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Thu Jun 25 14:30:53 CDT 2009

Hi John,

Let me note that this thread is discussed in context of

"ADO.NET Entity framework plays farewell for manual SQL coding".

Please read this blog entry:

http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/KIMBERLY/post/The-Clustered-Index-Debate-Cont
inues.aspx

with Anthony Thomas comment (here is one excerpt):

<<<
In either case, the table KEY (because it is "the" key) will be used more
frequently than most other attributes or composites for restriction on the
broadest set of available queries. As such, defining this key clustered has
enormous benefit, and more so than the surrogate, which is typically unknown
to the end users.

Now, after you've got read all the above, and assuming that ADO.NET Entity
Framework is used as the main data access/manipulation technology can you
still state strongly that using natural keys instead of surrogate keys
"sucks from an implementation perspective and it sucks from a speed /
storage size issue."?

Thank you.

--
Shamil