[AccessD] Poll on Access 2007

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Sun Jun 28 20:28:00 CDT 2009

Darryl,

From: "Darryl Collins" <Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au>
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 12:31 PM

> ... I hope you are backing the right horse here Steve.

Thanks very much for your comments.  As you know, we are rapidly approaching
the release of the next version.  Access 2007 was always going to be an
interim measure, as a step moving towards new paradigms.  I will have a
better idea whether I'm backing the right horse after we have built some
Access 2010 apps.

> MS Access has been on the edge before and I think it is now again.

Ever since I first started using Access in 1994, there have been vehement
claims in one quarter or another that Access is dead, Microsoft is dropping
Access, X and Y are better than Access, etc.  I don't know about "on the
edge", but really a turning point.  What I think will happen is that those
who abandon Access because of the new directions, will be replaced by others
who embrace it and move forward with it.

If you're one of those who moves to other technologies, I understand the
reasons, and have no criticism, and I hope there is nothing I have said to
imply otherwise.  I wish you well with that.  But for me, at this stage it
looks like I will be sticking with Access for the long haul.

--
Regards
Steve

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4194 (20090628) __________