[AccessD] Poll on Access 2007

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Sun Jun 28 22:36:08 CDT 2009

John,

From: "jwcolby" <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com>
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 2:25 PM

> I ask you why the programmer interface has to be screwed around.  I can
> hear the crickets... but I
> don't hear you (or Microsoft).

Obviously I am not in a position to speak for Microsoft.  Regarding the
reasons of the Access dev team to introduce the ribbon, you and I are in the
same boat... you can surmise, and I can surmise.  However, I gave my opinion
15 months ago
http://blog.datamanagementsolutions.biz/2008/03/office-2007-ribbon-saga.html
regarding the chances of this decision being reversed, and my opinion hasn't
changed much since then.  In that article, I referred to a video about the
process of creating the ribbon, and that can be seen at
http://msstudios.vo.llnwd.net/o21/mix08/08_WMVs/UX09.wmv so please feel free
to check it out for at least part of Microsoft's answer.

Of course, we could argue until we're blue in the face about Access isn't in
the same category as the other Office products, and thus needs different
treatment.  But that wouldn't alter the fact that, as William pointed out,
the ribbon will be significantly improved in Access 2010, as well as ribbon
interface being included in some of the other Office products that missed
out last time.

--
Regards
Steve