[AccessD] Poll on Access 2007

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jun 28 23:19:27 CDT 2009

Steve,

You still aren't listening.  I don't CARE about the ribbon (except how to turn it off).  I care
about the stupid crap you have to jump through to be a developer.  The needless rearrangement of the
entire environment.

I repeat, YOU (and MS) AREN'T LISTENING.  My clients hire me to develop applications.  Toolbars are
for power users to interact with OFFICE AS THE APPLICATION, not to interact with an application
based on Access.  My clients don't use icons AT ALL.  They are in forms, they enter data IN FORMS,
they run reports.  They interact with the APPLICATION that I develop, not with ACCESS.

YOU (and MS) AREN'T LISTENING TO ME (or anyone else on this list or the developer world at large).

LISTEN STEVE, GET WHAT I SAY.

My clients have APPLICATIONS which fill the entire screen.  I have been asking my clients to FORCE
their users to move up to 1024 x 768.  They are STUCK at 800 x 600.  They have gone out and bought
bigger screens, ALL of their screens are now at least 17" (up from 14" and 15") many are 19" but
their users want the extra size to help them SEE better, not give the application more screen real
estate.  Now Access comes along and spends a ton of time and resources on a stupid toolbar which (If
I developed there) I would PROMPTLY turn off because my forms take up the entire screen as it is.

Steve, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the toolbar is simply irrelevant.  NONE of my
clients care, at all.  Not even one little bit.  If they don't care, I don't care.

And yet obviously it is the world to you (and MS)?  Obviously YOU like it?  Because while we have
been discussing EVERYTHING EXCEPT the toolbar, the toolbar is the only thing you will discuss.  Not
the bug list that never gets addressed.  Not the developer environment that got totally screwed
around.   Not Microsoft's arrogant "we don't give a damn what the developers are saying" attitude.

THE SILLY FRIGGIN TOOLBAR!

I am not surmising anything, it is totally irrelevant to me.  My clients aren't asking me to do 2007
and so I am not.  Access 2007 is being positioned as a "power toy" and I am a developer.  Access
2007 is all about pretty tool bars that don't matter.