[AccessD] Poll on Access 2007

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jun 29 10:17:30 CDT 2009

 > I do have direct contact and I do put your comments to them. As you can see as someone already
said they have a listening issue!!!!!!

LOL, yep.  To be honest, I don't believe they care, at all.  They want to keep us believing they
care because at this point nobody buys Office with Access unless they have a database project to do
(or already have a real Access application), and we sell clients on Access, but in the end they want
to sell Access to everybody that buys Office, a MUCH bigger pool.

NOTICE, that once everyone buys Access as part of the package, then MS truly won't care, won't make
any effort to even convince us that they care about us because they won't need us to sell Access
anymore.

In the meantime, in order to sell Access to everyone they need to somehow convince everyone buying
office that Access is user friendly, they need it, and THEY CAN DO IT (develop a database).  In
order to do that it has to be...

1) Pretty
2) Look the same as the other office apps
3) Pretty
4) Look the same as the other office apps
5) Pretty
.
.continue infinitely downward
.

Remember that the person buying office knows Word, and they know whether they need it, and EVERYONE
knows how to use it.  They know Excel and know whether they need it, and LOTS OF PEOPLE know how to
use it.  They haven't a clue about Access and don't know if they need it, and NOBODY in their office
knows how to use it (and never will, at a development tool level).  So MS wants to make it DO
SOMETHING (anything!) so that people will start using it, see it, think they can somehow use it, and
thus BUY IT.

I have a standing joke that says that MS is my private marketing department.  They spend millions
convincing people that they can build databases, then when they get 6 months in and can't build a
database, they call me to build them a database.  Unfortunately I have to trash their six months of
work because it is useless.