[AccessD] Page Locking Happening - But Set to Record Locking

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Fri Mar 6 16:23:09 CST 2009

...a couple of points for consideration.

...I'm not currently using record level locking on any app with an mdb be
...there are persistent stories tying it to increased corruption issues when
the option is selected, even when the fe runs strictly dao.

...and while jet does provide record level locking once initiated from ado,
it still reserves a full 4k page in memory for each such record ...thus
significantly increasing the bloat in the mdb until it is compacted ...a
long day with many users can thus become a problem.

...there are good reasons to use record level locking but its not simply a
win-win decision.

...I'm hoping Access 14 addresses such issues but I'm not holding my breath
...it looks to me as if the gui boys are driving the train now.

William