[AccessD] Securing My App FrontEnd

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:12:34 CDT 2009

Hi William,
I would say that in normal cases the FE is an mde so stealing it wouldnt be
much good without taking the BE as well.  It can only be taken if the
envrypted volume is mounted otherwise they are taking garbage effectively.

It can only be mounted by a user who knows the password and is sittting at
that computer.

FE drives (in my case z:\) are not shared across the net althought the BE
(\\server\z::) is.  That too has to be mounted to see data.  Both the FE and
BE are password protected and the functionality within it is determined by
the level of access granted to the individual user.  So to get to full
usability the larcenist will need to have top level clearance.

What you could also do, if you wanted to incur the overhead is that
immediately on startup the FE unlinks the tables and then relinks them.  If
the BE is not mounted/available then they are left with a FE with no
tables.  I dont do this automatically but I do have a function to do it on
request and this is done via a system table which holds the database/table
details and then runs through that linking them in - so the most info this
would give would the the names of the tables objects but no content.

So, instide the system it can be taken by a trusted user.  Outside the
system, probably not.

HTH

Max