[AccessD] science on visual controls

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 04:34:58 CDT 2009

Susan,

> science has produced in the way of improving UI and data entry.

Not unless you are using Science in the way that some scientists use it when
mentioning the Chaos Theory.

There is no "science" there, what there is, is regimentation and dogmatism,
I think.  By that I mean that in A2003 it seemed as if the menu items were
grouped logically by the most common ones the designed thought the users
might need.  If you wanted to find something different then they grouped by
function for ease of finding and you could then easily drag it to the menu
bar.

This worked well because the overriding "default" was by "user's need" which
was pretty much right, I think.  Now the "default" is by logical grouping
which for me anyway, is definitely not right.

The "science" of usability has made way for the "science" of logic!  Does
that sound logical?  The last thing we need in a Programmer's Development
environment is logic!  Ha!  Have I just shot myself in both feet?  No, I am
sure you will know what I mean.

Have to go now, tummy is telling me to feed it!

Max