[AccessD] vmware - massive confusion

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Mar 25 18:25:52 CDT 2009

I had a perfectly functioning VMWare server version 1.x.  I made the BIG mistake of updating to 2.X.
  Now I just can't get my existing machines recognized.  That server is just not functioning any
more.  I have a web based (can you say SUCKY) something (not sure what to call it) with one VM (I
think created from scratch, not sure) but there just does not appear to be any way to navigate to a
directory and select existing machines.  I can create a new VM, and I can import an "appliance" but
adding existing machines... just no way that I can find.

I managed to find (well hidden) a "thick client" 2.5.  It too shows no way to load existing clients.

Am I missing something or is VMWare somehow "channeling me" to work in some new paradigm that they
don't bother to explain?

This REALLY sucks.  I have a working server on another machine which is the old 1.x stuff which I
can't upgrade of course or I will not have ANY of my existing clients mountable.

I really need to figure this thing out.  Any one who knows how this works please email me off-line
and I will give you my first born son (well, first adopted son).

I am desperate.

Thanks,