[AccessD] SERIOUSLY OT: Re: An Interesting question

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Mar 30 09:42:48 CDT 2009

It's not always the definition, but the perception.

For instance, black is the absence of all light, or (in pigments case),
it is something that absorbs all light.  Either definition still
describes an adjective that is used in perception.

If I were to look at a black hole, I would see it as black.  In one
perception, I am not seeing a black hole, I am actually just seeing
nothing at all.  In another perception, the absence of light is referred
to as black, and I perceive that as a color, not just he absence of
light.

Could red be defined as the absence of all color but red?  Sure could.
But it is the perception of what red/blue/white/black, etc represents.

Same with a null value.  I do not disagree that Null is defined as a
missing value.   I am stating that a perception can allow you to see
Null as a value in and of itself.

Here's a thought.  We measure brightness in units of light.  Why don't
we measure it in units of darkness?

Perception...

Drew