[AccessD] Form corruption

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sat May 2 15:28:30 CDT 2009

OK, back at ya (this is OT Saturday, isn't it?

OK, here it is – my (locally) famous Chicken with Black Bean Sauce.  A real
crowd pleaser.  My kids actually ate broccoli in this dish.

First – if you don’t already have one, stop by Target and pick up a rice
cheap cooker (this is what I got: http://www.target.com  and search for rice
cookers and looks at the Rival 6-cupper (RC61)).  Perfect rice every time.
Fast cleanup.  You don’t have to monitor it.  Never burns to the pot.

Start 2-3 cups rice (uncooked) early enough so it’ll be finished before the
chicken.  Basmati is my preference.

Now the dish
Chicken – 1-2 pounds of skinless boneless chicken breast depending on how
hungry you are.  Dice into bite sized pieces and sauté on med-high heat
until still a bit pink on the inside (they’ll cook more at the end.  Put ‘em
in a bowl and set aside (the chicken, not you).

Note:  I have made this with shrimp as well.  But the shrimp cook real fast
so just throw them in at the end along with the sauce.  I’ve also used beef.
But chicken is the best.

Veggies – cut up as much broccoli as you can stand – I use 1-2 pounds of
crowns.  Cut up a big onion.  Stir fry the broccoli.  It takes longer than
the onion so add the onion about ½ way through cooking the broccoli.  I
recommend not using frozen broc.  It starts out soggy and gets worse from
there.  But you can use it in a pinch.

Note:  I don’t use a wok.  I use a big flat 14 inch fry pan.
Note:  I sometimes substitute fresh green beans for broccoli.  Same caveat
on the frozen.  You could also do eggplant although no one in this house
would eat it but me.
Note: Go ahead throw in whatever else you like – water chestnutz, snow peas
(but just at the end, they go limp fast).  Just don’t make it too
ungepotchke.

Sauce:
Take about a quarter of a jar of Lee Kum Kee Black Bean with Garlic Sauce
and put it in a 2-cup measuring cup.  Add something to thicken the sauce –
tablespoon or 2 of flour, corn starch, something like that.  Fill the cup
3/4 full or so. I’d give you a more precise measurement but I just eyeball
it.  Whisk it into submission.  You can put in some Szchechuan chili sauce,
but we usually just put it on top after serving.  It’s pretty spicy.

Note: I used to use milk instead of water.  Makes a different kind of sauce
but every bit as good.  Also, I’ve used a can of coconut milk, too, but it
didn’t seem to add much flavor – but made the sauce richer (more fat).

Final assembly:
When the veggies are done to your liking, turn the heat way down, otherwise
the sauce will boil away real fast.  Pour in the chicken, then give the
sauce a final whisk and pour on top.  Have some additional water standing by
as sometimes the sauce cooks down too much or gets too thick and you need to
thin it out.  Turn it over a few times and Walla! A crowd pleaser.

It may seem like a bit of potchkying the first time, but, after you make it
a few times it goes real quick.  That’s what I like about it.  Quick.