[AccessD] Copy Protection Needed

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat May 2 20:38:05 CDT 2009

I'm a firm believer in providing each customer with their own copy of the application which
has an embedded serial number.  Encrypt the customers name/address and anything else
you want with this unique key. When the application is opened, decrypt the Customer Name
etc  and embed this on all forms and reports.   That alone will discourage a great deal of
piracy in a business environment.

If you want to lock the application to a specific installation, it is a a simple process to include
something else in the encryption.

The problem comes in deciding what to use.  I dislike using hardware for two reasons:

1. It is the BE that needs to be limited and getting hardware info for the BE server from a FE
workstation is not so easy.

2. Hardware breaks down and needs to be replaced.

One possibility is to lock it to a specific BE \\servername\sharename\BDName and possibly
the Domain name if it is a domain network.

For small operations like Toys For Tots co-ordinators, I'd suspect that in many situations it
will run on a standalone PC or a small peer to peer network, so domain specific stuff is
probably out of the question for the original case - and the workgroup is probably just named
"Workgroup" <g>.

If  customers wants to change the installation to run from a different server location, they
will need to contact you, but as long as they keep the servername and share the same, they
can replace any hardware they like.

I'd be interested in the working group.  I've got similar things operating now.

I have one application that I didn't charge for up-front - we negotiated a transaction based
licence fee instead.   Ever three months, the system pops up a message that the licence
needs renewing, the customer emails me and I send back a new key which is an encrypted
version of their name, the serial number  and the new expiry date ( provided that they have
paid the currently fees).  On startup, the FE decrypts the user details and stores this in a
static function for display on forms and reports, checks the expiry date and either: does
nothing; warns that the licence is about to expire and then continues; or states that the
licence has expired and closes itself down.