[AccessD] An interesting "feature" in SQL Server

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu May 21 07:45:48 CDT 2009

  That one has been around for a while:

  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q278696

Jim.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:29 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] An interesting "feature" in SQL Server

I am starting work on a database at an old client that was converted to SQL
Server.  I discovered
that if I enter records into a table that contains a bit field, and that bit
field is allowed to
store a null value, then any time I try to edit any field in that record
(at least through ODBC) I
get a "you have attempted to update a record being edited by another user"
kind of error message and
the update fails.  I had to go into Management studio and set the bit to
either a zero or a -1 at
which point the edits work normally after that.

Loverly.