[AccessD] Linked to SQL Server in a domain

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri May 22 02:28:42 CDT 2009

Hi Jim

That is not my experience. We had several apps running at clients for years using A97, ODBC and the SQL Server prior to 2000 (version 7? Can't remember) without a single issue.

So at least in some cases ODBC works.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 22-05-2009 07:00 >>>
Hi John:

I have been working with MS Access to ADO-OLE to MS SQL/Oracle DBs since
1997 and Access does not work with ODBC. There is a simple and stupid way to
up date an old Access MDB to a MS SQL BE using connection/links.

This system actually works fine for delete, add and update... but as soon as
you start grabbing recordsets of data for reports, subforms or start rolling
out a new application to a remote desktops the whole system grinds to a
halt. At that point you have reached the end of the usefulness of the ODBC
connections.

Unfortunately there is no short cut, the client and you just have to bite
the bullet and go straight ADO-OLE... It is not that difficult but the nice
gui interface within Access can not do it.

Jim