[AccessD] treeview control

A.D.Tejpal adtp at airtelmail.in
Thu Oct 1 13:42:47 CDT 2009

Arthur,

    My sincere thanks. So nice of you. Your article and Drew's posts have been of great help.

    If I understand it correctly, the functionality desired by you, i.e. depiction of more than one child under a given grand parent in treeview, is already available in the sample db. In employees treeview, department nodes (e.g Finance / Sales) are the root nodes (i.e. grand parents), each having one child as per existing sample data, acting as a departmental head.

    However, there is no problem in creating more than one department head (say Vice-President 1 & 2). It can be done in three alternative ways as follows:

    1 - Drag the desired employee node to the department node. That employee will become direct child to the department node and become one of the top level heads in that department, at par with existing ones. As soon as such a drag / drop is completed, modified hierarchical set up gets displayed in treeview as well as adjacent subform, with the revised chain of command duly highlighted in both.

    2 - In the subform, on the record pertaining to given employee, simply clear the existing entry in ReportsTo column. It will have the same effect as that outlined in para 1 above.

    3 - Enter a new record, leaving the Reports to column blank and filling in the desired department. The freshly entered employee will become a direct child of pertinent department's node (which is a root node), in addition to any other such children - if existing.

    Note:
    (a) If desired an employee can be dragged over to a department other than to which he currently belongs.
    (b) If an employee is dragged to an empty space within the treeview, a new department will get created (the user will be prompted for the name of new department) and the said employee's node will become direct child of the new department node.
    (c) There is no limit to the nested levels of hierarchy that can be depicted on employees treeview.

    You might like to confirm whether the features outlined above are in line with what you had in mind.

Best wishes,
A.D. Tejpal