[AccessD] Form Controls

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 18:52:09 CDT 2009

Hey, all:

Charlotte Foust:
> If you're talking about in design view, the controls follow the
> order in which they were added, not the tab index, which
> can be changed.

That is right initially, but the rendering order determines the Controls
collection order. Using the Bring to Front and Send to Back buttons in form
design view changes the control order. This is how Access handles control
overlap without a z-index property: controls later in the collection render
on top of those before. I'm pretty sure of this.

Tab indexes, on the other hand, get re-used by section and tab page. This
means that if your form has header, footer  and detail sections, as well as
a tab control with three pages, you could have 6 controls with a tab index
of 1: one for each section and tab page.

This means that any looping through controls by tab index has to be
recursive. You must go by section, then any tab pages in that section.

Of course, this complicates adding controls to a collection keyed by tab
index. The straightforward way will work only for the simplest case: only a
detail section with no tab pages. Otherwise, you will get duplicate tab
indexes, and your item add won't work the way you expect.

-Ken