[AccessD] Access 2007 Question

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Oct 26 08:35:42 CDT 2009

Arthur,

<<3. Should we Access developers regard this as the definitive signal to
move
to Visual Studio or some other dev platform? (Just about the only thing that
keeps me on Windows is Access; take away that and you may as well call me an
Ubuntu boy.)>>

  Like John said, "Hey Ubuntu boy..."

  Really, Microsoft has been focused on VS and .Net as *the* development
platform.  Anything else just gets in the way.

  Personally I believe the beefing up of Macro's in 2007 is the lead in to
ultimately discontinuing VBA.  It's not quite clear to me how they plan to
pull that off with companies like Autodesk relying on it so heavily, but
that seems to be the plan (small disclaimer - I haven't been in the AutoCAD
world in a while - things may have already changed).

  Access always has been marketed as an end-user tool and it now appears
they are pushing even more heavily in that direction.  Also consider that
almost every new feature is geared to the end user rather then developers
and developer type features have been taken out (user level security,
replication, etc).  And look how many developers have already shunned 2007.
Heck how many don't even have it loaded on their systems?

 Seems pretty obvious to me that the writing is on the wall.

FWIW,
Jim.