[AccessD] Access 2007 Question

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 14:44:36 CDT 2009

But don't forget that without SharePoint you will not be putting anything on the web.

In my view the whole focus of MS has moved away form the desktop towards the Internet. Over time the desktop will not be relevant as everything will be browser based. That's the route we are following using the web for as much as possible in our case based around SharePoint.

The problem for developers is that they have stretched Access way beyond what MS had intended and again in my opinion MS owes them for that,. Without the Access developer community building real application with Access it would still be an also ran program. Developers see a product they love with problems and duff code etc from version 1 never fixed but which has new bells and wishes added to it all the time by MS and in turn they think they are being ignored. MS is aiming Access at SharePoint and a move away from the file based database.

Will VBA disappear I do not think so and from anything I have heard it will be around for some time. Just think of taking something Rocky, JC, AD, William, Shamil et al have written and running it through a MS wizard for the web? You will get nothing approaching the functionality of the original database. I have used most of these tools and nothing beats a good programmer and on every occasion when it comes to something that actually is required to solve a business function or  problem wizards and auto code generators just don't relace the JCs or Shamils of this world.

For developers the issue is not whats been added but what has not been fixed that helps them build applications they need to meet the needs of their clients. The fact I can take Northwind and save it to SharePoint is neither here nor there. In every Access program I have been involved in (and thats about them all) the requirements of developers to fix issues already in the program have never been met. Yeah we got the Ribbon, the web and a lot of other stuff but basic flaws have been ignored.

What I have done is to continually put this to them that they need to fix the outstanding issues and then move on. The developer community have done nothing but good for MS and their products.

Martin