[AccessD] Access 2007 Question

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Oct 28 09:52:49 CDT 2009

Ken,

 > Nah ... I checked, and we can start you out at Cardinal ;)

I got news for you, no Amateur coming from VBA is going to start out in .Net as much more than alter
boy.  There is just too much there to learn.

You are absolutely correct about "starting out on .Net", virtually no amateur would do that, or at
least not quickly enough to maintain a head of steam.  I certainly don't denigrate .Net because of
that, its target audience is very different.  But of course I get your point.

I have to say though that I don't see the changes they have made to Access as threatening that
market.  The "amateur" will be just fine picking up 2007 and with the changes to the macros it might
be even better for that niche.  Assuming of course that VBA is available, lurking in the background
for when the amateur runs out of steam and the professional has to step in.

I think that Access has always been ignored in general, and that it is finally getting some
attention, and hopefully some marketing attention as well.  I have long maintained that MS is my own
private marketing firm.  They spend millions convincing Joe & Linda Store Owner that (s)he can build
a database, and then I step in when (s)he realizes it isn't as simple as it first appears.