[AccessD] Drew - Help on TreeView Please

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Sep 1 09:24:23 CDT 2009

Again, no problem.  I'm really glad you are taking the time to
experiment with the Treeview.  It is probably one of the most powerful,
flexible, and under used controls in the 'standard' arsenal.  The fact
that it is an 'unbound' control by default is probably why it doesn't
get used as often as it should.

You're practice run is looking pretty good, by the way!

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Tina Norris
Fields
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:51 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Drew - Help on TreeView Please

Drew, thanks very much for your help and your full explanation.  I still

can't believe I was trying to stick a text value into an integer field,
but I'm glad you caught that.  Your additional explanations are making
it possible for me to actually use the TreeView control.  Thanks again
and again and again and . . . . .

Drew Wutka wrote:
> No problem.  I just sent you the fix off list.  Correcting this
> particular error showed two more issues which I fixed too.
>
> Ironically, the issue wasn't technically a treeview issue.  However it
> did relate to how I personally use treeviews (so my example used this
> method).  The nodes of a treeview have to have a unique key. So if you
> have ten thousand nodes, each node 'key' must have unique to the other
> 9,999 nodes.  With a table, you would use an Autonumber, however, with
> treeview branching out, I will use a 'natural' key of sorts, which
makes
> the node key more meaningful (and useful in later code).

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.