[AccessD] XML

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 3 15:04:07 CDT 2009

I am just pointing out the insanity of XML as a major data transport.

Let's take an example.  I have an actual job to copy about 70 million names and addresses out to a
file and send to a processor who is going to process the file and send it back to me with ethnicity
fields.  Obviously they do not use XML, but if you go with the "XML is the ideal transport mechanism
for internet transfers" mentality...

Can you imagine some twit writing a web service that takes the name / address fields out of a
database, wraps it in XML to send over the internet and then tries to process 60 million records.

Another example, I actually received 5 files the other day, downloaded off of an FTP.  Each file
contained roughly 8 million names and addresses plus some other fields.  The data came in as comma
delimited CSV files.  Each file was roughly 500 megs of text (zipped of course), and a tiny format
file.  Now, instead of CSV, do that in XML.  The 500 megs would instantly turn into 5 gigs (or
almost certainly more than that).

How can you possibly think that XML is superior for such purposes.

I am not interested in a huge debate on this matter.  It is just so obviously silly that I can't
imagine an argument ensuing.

 >Could it be you're caught in the mdb mode of putting your eggs all in one basket?

I'm caught in whatever asininity the other end imposes on me.  I just pray they don't impose XML for
these kinds of things.