[AccessD] XML (was: PDF vs Access)

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Sep 4 07:22:14 CDT 2009

Stuart,

<<Sheesh - talk about "to a man with a hammer"....>>

  Could not agree more...so far, every time I've had to use it its just
created more work.  And it *really* gets messy if the data your working with
is unstructured.  However every time it comes up in discussion, someone
posts a snazzy one or two line piece of code to dump structured data, but
they never talk about the dark side<g>.

  The Office Ribbon is a good example; look at the XML you need to use to
modify it rather then using a object model.  As a result, it got very
complex to manage and work with (which now even Microsoft admits).  It took
something that was simple and straight forward to work with and changed it
into something overly complex.

  And of course there is all the overhead associated with it; storing,
transmitting, parsing, etc.

  I still have not found a clear benefit to using it and avoid it whenever I
can.

  Thanks but no thanks.

Jim.