[AccessD] Access 2000 - Filtering SQL Server records

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 16 09:05:30 CDT 2009

I have an application that goes to SQL Server for three different tables.  These tables are from a
third party payroll system.  The tables are about check information.  One of the fields holds a text
representation of the autonumber (long int) PK from one of my tables (the Claimant table).  ATM we
have a single view in SQL Server that pulls each and every check record.  Back in Access I then
convert the string to long and then filter down to just the records for the claim(s) I am interested in.

This is sloooooowwwwwww.......

In this case I am using one single view for everything I do with this check data anywhere in this or
any other of my applications.  Thus it returns every check (over 100K) any time I do ANYTHING.

I don't really use SQL Server very much as a BE to Access applications so I don't have experience in
other ways to do this.  So I need help.

I know that the first thing I could do is rewrite the view to do the data type conversion out in SQL
Server and hand me back records with that PKID already converted to a long integer.

Aside from that though, I really want to pass in a specific PKID and have SQL Server give me back
just the check records for that PKID.

Remember that this is 2K.  The data is NOT editable so I do not need, and in fact cannot even get
write access to the data.

So how do I get data back from SQL Server specific to a PK?  I assume that I have to go with a
stored procedure?

Any help (as detailed as possible) is much appreciated.