[AccessD] Recover deleted records

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 03:19:20 CDT 2009

Hi folks

Just some feedback on this thread from a while back.

I downloaded the trial version of the AccessFix product which Gary
suggested. When I ran the product against my db it found 1700+ deleted
records. What the trial version does is display the records in your browser,
scrollable so you can see the results. You then have to pay for the full
product to recover that data to a db. We never did pay for the full version
because I could see that the data was incomplete. There were 0's in the
Autonumber key in some records and a Hyperlink field which was crucial to
the app was very poorly recovered if at all. I emailed the vendors about
these issues but got no response. So we didn't buy the product but even the
info on-screen enabled me to tell the user what records had been added or
amended since the last backup they had, for which info they were very
grateful.

So I learned that:
- deleted records are still there (presumably until a Compact)
- it's possible to recover information about deleted records in some shape
or form
- AccessFix proved a useful tool even in the free trial form but was not a
100% solution

We never did try the recovery service which Jim suggested (I was told not
to) but I've seen enough to suggest that it's feasible, and in fact Jim said
it had worked for him. So if it happens to you or your user don't dismiss
the idea of recovering the data.

Andy