[AccessD] Computer prose

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sun Sep 20 03:45:40 CDT 2009

Thank you, Arthur. I must say that my "first five" preferred list of
Russian/Soviet classic literature authors is a bit different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Ostrovsky
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Belyayev
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Chekhov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Gogol

We were a kind of "forced" here to read and study Tolstoy and Dostoevsky
while teens in secondary school, and when you're a teen then reading,
talking and thinking about eternal questions and "dark sides of everyday
life" is not what you wanted to do first place...

Western literature classics were also well known and available here and read
by many people, and I did even study Dante Alighieri
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Alighieri ) and Francesco Petrarka
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrarch ) using their native language as I
did study Italian and French in secondary school...

Well, I must say I almost didn't have time to read any of the Russian or the
Western classics for the last 30 years when the "2B || !2B ?" was the main
question here. And it still is.

The kind of questions Nabokov asked your girl friend is now very popular
here in secondary school literature examinations. I'm not sure I'd pass such
an exam t all as I usually do accept literature more superficially (without
hard thinking and analysis, sorry) - I do like Russian and English and
Italian and French... written language when it used in literature classics
so ingeniously skillful, and I do often miss the details. And I must note
that the details of context play crucial role here (so Nabokov was very
Russian in the way he tutored his students) as this country is not governed
by common sense laws but more by "absurd laws" especially nowadays...

Yes, you did mentioned and you did post "A Martian Sends a Postcard Home"
here already, and I did read it. It's a kind of beyond me I must admit but I
will try to reread it - it would be probably helpful to get it from
somewhere recorded in spoken English...

As for Fermi Last Theorem - that's a way beyond me, what I prefer these days
in my spare time, which is so rare, is to spend my time with my kid looking
how he builds his LEGO constructions, or to go with him or alone in the
swimming pool, or play tennis, or just drop into my car and to have a "crazy
drive" to Finland to have some short rest from computers and absurd of
Russian life...

Thank you.

--
Shamil