[AccessD] OT: Virtual PC 2007 (MS), CITRIX XenServer, CITRIX HDX...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sun Sep 20 15:43:11 CDT 2009

Hi All,

Sorry for off-topic but I expect the subject would be interesting for many
developers here, and I do expect some of you do use such a configuration of
computers systems I'm considering here to create.

Plan:

I wanted to have:

1)      Several virtual PCs (VPCs), which can be kept and loaded from a
common local/Internet store with minimal overheads;

2)      When loaded and started I wanted to access VPCs from real desktop on
PC they are running as well as via a virtual desktop from other systems
running in my LAN as well as from Internet assuming my running VPCs will be
seen from there (I will get static IP(s) and my main ISP has a broadband
connection to my home/office, which I'm using here every day );

3)      I also wanted the data from some of my VPCs/physical systems
backed-up automatically (on schedule) not only locally but also somewhere on
Internet;

4)      When out of home/office for a long period of time, and having my
physical systems shut down I wanted to have (some of) my VPCs moved to an
Internet VPS hosting to use them from anywhere in this world.

As far I currently understand:

 (1) -  can be done using CITRIX XenServer
(http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/product.asp?contentID=683148),

 (2) - using CITRIX HDX technology
(http://community.citrix.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=79463606),

 (3) - using e.g. Amazon S3 Services
(http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#functionality ), and

 (4) - using e.g. Triple8 VPSs (http://www.triple8.net/vps.htm )

Question: Does anybody use/plan to use the above technologies in the near
future? If you do use them what are your experience - I'm especially
interested to hear about real life experience of using VS2005/2008/2010
development for Visual Studio running on an Internet-located  VPS (Virtual
Private Server), and accessed via Virtual Desktop (CITRIX HDX) from Web
Browser. running on Windows Mobile powered SmartPhone J Well, I'm kidding
about the latter  "SmartPhone VS development" but I do wanted to know about
real life experience of using VS development via Virtual Desktop driven by
CITRIX HDX.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and advise what are the better technologies
in your opinion to apply for and fulfill my plan.

Thank you.

--

Shamil