[AccessD] Amazon SimpleDB free for low-level use

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Sep 27 07:56:52 CDT 2009

Hi Stuart

Yes that would work as well. I had a larger job in mind.

<quote>
Amazon SimpleDB measures the machine utilization of each request and charges based on the amount of machine capacity used to complete the particular request (SELECT, GET, PUT, etc.), normalized to the hourly capacity of a circa 2007 1.7 GHz Xeon processor.
</quote>

I'm trying to figure out some good examples ...

/gustav

>>> stuart at lexacorp.com.pg 27-09-2009 13:15:40 >>>
Not just running once a week or month.

It will be good for a reasonable level of continuous usage as well.  The "machine hours" are
based on the actual processing time.

<quote>
You can get started with SimpleDB for free. Amazon SimpleDB users pay no charges on the
first 25 Machine Hours, 1 GB of Data Transfer, and 1 GB of Storage that you consume
every month. In most use cases, approximately 2,000,000 GET or SELECT API requests
can be completed per month before incurring any usage charges.
</quote>

That works out at about 2,700 per hour/45 per minute continuously.

Even if you are pulling complex data sets which take a couple of seconds, the 25 hours
equates to  45,000 requests or about 60 per hour/1 per minute continuously for the month.

--
Stuart