[AccessD] How to get MS Word mailmerge to open a query with parameters against an linked SQL Table

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 05:50:13 CDT 2010

Hello All,

First of all, I hope you are not annoyed by my three cross posts.  This
question involves MS Word mailmerges, MS Access and MS SQL Server.

I have a SQL Server database hosting in a data centre.
I have an Access 2003 db with ODBC inked tables to the SQL Server
I have a query with hard coded Criteria -- eg Where CustId = 100
I have MS Word Version 2003 with a MailMerge doc Set up and connected to the
Query in MS Access.
The Mailmerge works well with this setup

When I change the above setup to use parmeters instead of hard coded values
in the criteria of the query, I can successfully run the query from within
access.  The params popup and ask for the param value, and then the query
executes and returns records as expected.

However, the MS Word mailmerge does not work, and the mailmerge doc cannot
connect to the data source.  If I try to re-establish the data source
connection, MS Word does not even see the query as a potential data source
within the db.

If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you, as always for your time,

Mark