[AccessD] Using the Report Writer Features of Access 2007 against SQL Server Database Tables

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Apr 6 01:54:27 CDT 2010

Hi Brad

Access is an excellent tool for this - it was almost created for this purpose.

But just to add a little noise, you could as well consider using the (free) Reporting Services native to SQL Server. All you need to program this is Visual Studio in one of the (free) Express version of your choice.
An example of this combo can be found here:

  http://northwind.codeplex.com/

VS and Reporting Services do represent a learning experience but it might be worth the efforts.
If you pick this route you should sign up to our sister list dba-vb.

/gustav

>>> BradM at blackforestltd.com 06-04-2010 02:27 >>>
Background - Small company, small IT staff, small budget, no report
writer like Crystal Reports, etc.

We are thinking about using the report writer built into Access 2007 to
create reports from data that lives in SQL Server (purchased application
system).

We have done a little experimenting and things seems to work nicely in
our preliminary tests.  Do other firms do this (use Access just for
report writing against SQL-server data).  Are we missing a big "gotcha"?

 ~ ~ ~

Is it possible to force "Read Only" access in the Connection String?  We
want to ensure that no one ever updates any of the data in the SQL
Server tables.

Thanks,

Brad