[AccessD] OT: Friday Puzzles

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Apr 26 16:55:28 CDT 2010

I am really curious where you guys are getting this 'math' error.'

Here is the puzzle, as posted:

" At the end of a battle, the general regrouped his soldiers. They had
done badly. 70% of them had lost, at least, one eye. 75% had lost at
least one ear. 80% had lost, at minimum, an arm. 85% of the soldiers had
lost one leg.
The general wants to know how many of his men had lost, at minimum, one
eye, one ear, one arm and one leg. He is stingy with the medals so he
wants to reward the fewest number of soldiers. What percentage of the
soldiers should receive medals? You have 5 minutes to decide."

Using that statement, as worded, if there are 100 soldiers in the
general's group:

70 lost an eye

75 lost an ear

80 lost an arm

85 lost a leg

So unless you use faulty logic that there are really 310 soldiers, there
are at a MAXIMUM of 70 that lost all four body parts, and a minimum of
45.

Drew