[AccessD] group min - max

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Dec 6 14:30:12 CST 2010

How do you decide which record to use here:
> 002    3-2-10    8
> 002    3-2-10    6

If there only one entry per day per patient, you can use Order By and First/Last.

Select pID, First(pDate),First(POtherValue)
from tblPatientData
Group By pID
Order by pID,pDate.

It would be a good idea to index the table on pID,pDate :-)

If there are multiple entries per day, you need a way to identify which  record you want.  For
the data and results given, this would work

Order by pID,pDate,pOtherValue

If you want the maximum value on the first date, use

Order by pID,pDate,pOtherValue DESC

--
Stuart